As a member of a health plan, you have rights and responsibilities. You have these rights in all Cal MediConnect, Medi-Cal Managed Care, or PACE plans.
You have the right to:
- Be treated with dignity, free from discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, age, or gender.
- Get timely access to medically necessary services.
- Be told where, when, and how to get needed services.
- Take part in decisions about your care, including the right to refuse treatment or to choose someone to make decisions for you.
- Be treated by providers who have experience and expertise in your condition.
- Have your medical records, care plan, and treatment kept private.
- Get a copy of your medical records and care plan.
- Hire, fire, and manage your IHSS provider.
- Have someone help you receive the health care you need.
- Accessible care if you have a disability—including braille or large print and physical access accommodations.
- Language services, including interpreters and documents in another language, if wanted.
- File an appeal for services that are denied or reduced, and file a grievance (complaint) about your health plan.
You have the responsibility to:
- Use providers in your health plan’s network.
- Work with your provider and health plan to get prior authorization (pre-approval) for needed services.
- Tell your health plan about your care needs and concerns.
- Tell your health plan and your county Medi-Cal office about any changes in your contact information.
For more information about all of your rights, call the California Consumer Assistance Program at 1-888-466-2219.
Other FREE resources:
HICAP | 1-800-434-0222
Health plan counseling
Health Care Options | 1-844-580-7272
Join or leave a health plan
Cal MediConnect Ombudsman Program | 1-855-501-3077
If plan cannot help, get support solving health plan problems