Governor Jerry Brown released his proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2013-14 that included an update to the timeline for implementing the Coordinated Care Initiative (CCI) and the duals demonstration.
Pending federal approval, the duals demonstration would give beneficiaries the opportunity to combine their Medi-Cal and Medicare benefits into one health plan and receive more coordinated and accountable care than available in today’s fragmented health care delivery system.
Two areas of the budget related to CCI:
- Timeline. The proposed budget calls for implementing both parts of the CCI, the duals demonstration and transition to managed care for Long Term Supports and Services, in September 2013.
- This means that the first notices that any beneficiaries would receive about these transitions would come no earlier than June 2013.
- Enrollment Phase-in. There are eight counties in the CCI: Alameda, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Orange and Riverside. According to the budget announcement:
- In Los Angeles County, enrollment will phase in over 18 months.
- In San Mateo, enrollment will occur all at once in September 2013.
- For all other counties, enrollment will phase-in over 12 months.